August 2, 2020
The Blessings of Sonship:
- A son inherited more.
- A son had more authority over their parents’ estate.
- There was an expectation for a son to carry on and honor the family name.
“For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received ‘the Spirit of Sonship.'” -Romans 8:15
Who may consider themselves to be a child in God’s family?
“…their father to be the devil wanting to do what he does.” -John 8:4
Intimacy with God is reserved for God’s family.
Paul builds his defense of Gentile Christians being part of God’s family based upon the tense of one Hebrew word (“zera”).
- Abraham’s seed is one person, Jesus.
- This truth cannot be changed or altered.
- The law is a fence, but also a mirror.
- Therefore, everyone comes to God thru Christ no matter who you are.
“But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a women, subject to law. God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children.” -Galatians 4:4,5
God gave the law a sufficient amount of time to convince us — it cannot fix us.
The way of faith into God’s family:
- Everyone is accepted into God’s family the same way thru Christ.
Galatians 3:24-26: “So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus…”
Part of the shared identity of God’s family is we are ALL “in Christ.”
- Therefore, we have a special relationship with God.
- We are co-heirs with Christ.